The Fourah Bay Community Foundation – North Carolina Inc. is funded by generous donors from private enterprises, private individuals and volunteers all over the state.
Our commitment to service has brought us the growth of our foundation – this is who we are today. We are proud of our achievements and the network we’ve managed to build over the years. But even more than this, we are proud of being the catalyst for change that has brought opportunities for many interested munificent parties, companies and individual citizens to contribute to the development of the state. Human health services through health screening and health service related programs should be integrated into the community. We do this day by day, one scholarship at a time – one health screening at a time.
Fourah Bay Community Foundation – North Carolina Inc. was founded in October 2010 as a non-profit under §501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue code of the United States of America. It is a North Carolina based non-profit corporation. Sierra Leonean-Americans in the great State of North Carolina with origins from the Fourah Bay community in Freetown, Sierra Leone are working diligently to give back transferrable skills and greater opportunities to the less privileged in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
The Fourah Bay community is situated in the east end of Freetown, the capital city of the Republic of Sierra Leone. The city of Freetown has a diverse citizenry of approximately four million people.
Sierra Leone is located in the west coast of Africa. It was colonized by the British but it gained its independence in 1961. It is presently a democracy with a population of approximately five million citizens.
The devastating effects of ten years of civil war in the 1990s and economic challenges that go back to the 1980s have created untold strains across every sector in the development of Sierra Leone. The population of Freetown grew by over 300% during and after the civil war because of the migration of the vast majority of the population from rural areas to the capital.
Our accomplishments to-date
- 2007 – Donated seven barrels of clothes and personal effects to the people of the Fourah Bay community.
- 2008 – Donated two barrels of school supplies to three schools in the Fourah Bay community.
- 2010 – Donated three computers and six monitors to a school in the Fourah Bay community in Freetown.
- 2011 – Donated $1,250 worth of educational scholarships to Junior Secondary (Middle) and Senior Secondary (High) school students.
- 2012 – Donated $2,500 worth of educational and apprenticeship job training scholarships to some eligible unemployed youths in the Fourah Bay community.
- 2013 – Donated over $5,000 worth of school supplies to eleven (11) elementary schools in the Fourah Bay community.
- 2014 – Donated over $2,600 worth of school supplies to seventeen (17) schools in and around the Fourah Bay community. This includes 6,350 exercise books and 1940 boxes of chalks.
- 2014 – Donated 46 pairs of Reading Glasses to those in the Fourah Bay community with eyesight challenges. Eye screening from a local Optician may be required in order to receive this donation.
- 2014 – Donated $250 at the United Voices of Guilford County – Ebola Information session that was held in Greensboro, North Carolina in November 2014. The funds collected were donated to Médecins Sans Frontières – Doctors without Borders.
- 2014 – Our Foundation received a donation of ten (10) laptop computers from a corporation in Greensboro, North Carolina. The computers will be donated to a school in the Fourah Bay community in 2015.
- 2014 – A multi-function wireless laser printer/copier/scanner and supplies will be donated to a school in the Fourah Bay community in 2015.
- 2014 – A cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training kit will be donated to the Fourah Bay community. The training is expected to commence in 2015.
- 2015 – Donated three barrels of Rice and a large box of Children’s Books to the Fourah Bay community in Sierra Leone.
- 2015 – Donation of $1,000 to the Fourah Bay community for the renovation of Sulaimania School.
- 2015 – The Fourah Bay Community Foundation – North Carolina Inc. was awarded a Certificate of Recognition by the Fourah Bay Community Foundation in Sierra Leone for our outstanding and dedicated service to the community during the Ebola epidemic.
- 2016 – Our Foundation received a donation of ten (10) laptop computers from a corporation in Greensboro, North Carolina. The computers will be donated to the Fourah Bay community.
- 2016 Donated thirty reams of copier paper supplies to the Fourah Bay community.
- 2016 Donated 25 men’s ties to the Fourah Bay community.
- 2016 Donated two tool kits to the Fourah Bay community.
- 2016 Donated six (6) sewing machines and five (5) electrical tool kits to the Fourah Bay Community Learning Centre. The total value of the gifts is $1,395.
- 2016 Donated writing supplies and presented $200 fundraising collections to the Fourah Bay Community Learning Centre.
- 2017 Donated $2,500 for the procurement of school supplies to all the schools in the Fourah Bay community.
- 2017 Donated $300 financial assistance to the August 2017 flood victims of the Foulah Town community in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- 2018 Donated office supplies to the Sulaimania School (Bottom School) in the Fourah bay community.
- 2018 Donated $800 for the purchase of a 2,000-litre water tank to Sulaimania School (Bottom School) in the Fourah bay community.
- 2019 In May 2019, donated $1,400 to over 100 needy families Fourah Bay community.
- 2019 Our Foundation received a donation of twenty-two (22) used office furniture from a furniture company in High Point, North Carolina. The office furniture will be donated to the schools in the Fourah Bay community later in 2019.